Monday 23 September 2013

Trading is very very statistical!

Today was a pretty dry day for trading, the markets did a lot but for my trading setups not much really happened.

My per-trade loss limit is $70, what that means is if I lose $70 on a play then the trade went as planned. The trade made today was a -$70. I realized after that I made a judgement call mistake, I did not take the market into consideration during this play. The market had broke through the resistance and was just resting, not really going up but just resting. When I was looking at the charts it gave a small illusion of possibly going up but not a big one. So I entered the trade. It was a clean and quick loss. I feel like I disregarded the market during the trade to a certain extent. But honestly, consistency helps. One thing that I know is that I will not LOSE more than what I need to lose per trade. My losses will always be capped off to the AMOUNT I choose to lose. So If I am risking $70 per trade I know I won't lose more than $70, its nearly impossible. The only way I will lose more than $70 is if I don't follow my trading plan. It is easy to handle losers the most difficult part of trading is maximizing winners. Basically trade management. During trade 2 weeks ago I was down about -$250 in one day, now that is disgusting. That is when all plans, rules and everything else goes down the drain.

Here is how I operate: 

I have a $70 Risk per trade. I consider this my "R"

Which means if I lose -$70 on a trade I am down -1R for that trade.
If I win $70 on a trade I am positive +1R for that trade.

Below is an example of a trade I took last week displaying the R system. In this trade I made +2.11R which means if my R was $70 the trade would have been a +$147 trade in dollar terms. And these types of trades are the normal trades, if they are managed right it is possible to be pulling in 1.5R-2R plays at least daily. But it is all in the management.


















This is where it gets FANCY: 

If I operate at a 50% success rate in my trades and I make about 20 trades a month here are the stats for
that:

So right away I know that out of 20 trades I am going to have 10 losers. Now if I cap my losers to $70 that means I lost about -$700 on my losers. That means on my losers I am down -7Rs.

Now here is where it gets fancier, if for example I have 10 winners and all of my winners are say average +$130 which is about +1.85Rs then my winning trades amount to +$1295 or +18.2Rs

Do the math I can operate at 50% success rate, with 10 losers and 10 winners a month I can still be in the positive: $1295 - $700 = $595 Profit or about +8.5Rs 

The thing with trading is you DO NOT have to be right 100% of the time, the stats show that I only have to be right 50% of the time and all I need to do is manage my winners and not worry about my losers because I know I will not lose more than -$70 ever on a trade.

Trading is very statistical, one must understand what level is he or she operating at and then develop a strategy.

Here is today's trade!

I tried to long it above the red line but the trade didn't follow through, so I cut it.

















Trade tickets + daily P/L for today. -1R


1 comment:

  1. Very true dude. I want to add to this. Just like how you averaged out your winners to be 1.85R's you can use the same methodology on the losers too since some days your losers mayb be 1.2R's and some days 0.3R's. If you can for sure keep your losers at no more than 1.2R's (in the case of a stop skip resulting in market order) then your averaging out your losers to be about 0.5 - 0.9 R's on each trade.

    Applying this to your math in the blog you can possibly finish the month off anywhere between $595 - $1000

    Stats you gotta love them.

    Great blog man opened my eyes to how simple it could be if once again you minimized losers and maximized winners.

    ReplyDelete